Farewell Snuzpod...Until we meet again



For months, I have been contemplating writing a blog (kindly prompted by some friends and family). My love of (very amateur) photography has flourished with my newest and cutest prop- my Daughter Pippa.

I use my Instagram account as a 'modern day Baby Book'- what parent has time to print photos, scrapbook and fill out red books in time for every milestone?  Just give me a pack of baby milestone cards and an instagram account and voila- it's here forever, a gift to my family.
Combining my love of writing, parenting and babies, in attempt to reach out to other new parents and promote some sort of normality, I finally plucked up the courage and decided to give it a try.

SO HERE GOES...

Snuzpod, Ewan the Sheep and a Lavender & Camomile
plug in make the perfect combo

Ofcourse I decided to embark on this venture the same week as we have (also finally) started to attempt some sort of bedtime routine (is there any such thing?) as Pippa is now in her own room.
So I come to you from my reclaimed rocking chair in our Nursery, with one hand typing and the other on my Daughter's face (so she thinks I'm lying beside her), whilst listening to womb noises courtesy of 'Ewan the Sheep' (didn't think Ewan would get a shoutout this soon, but he deserves it- the LEGEND that he is!)

'Top Baby Buy'


Many parents and parents to be have asked me what my no.1 baby buy has been.  I have to say, to date it has been our co-sleeping crib.  We were in two minds whether or not to buy this product and we didn't have it from the very start.  There are SO many baby products on the market and as new parents, we're all too keen to throw our money at anything that advertises promoting our babies brain development or in this case, a few hours extra sleep.  We didn't want to 'fall for it,' but in this case, I'm glad we did!
For the first two weeks, we used our Moses basket which we LOVED and still do for lots of other reasons (shoutout to Mokee).  But being sleep deprived, over paranoid new parents, getting in and out of bed every time we heard a creek made for a very restless night and several stubbed toes.

Our Mokee Woolsnest stays downstairs to save moving the Snuzpod up and down (a luxury item, I know.  It was a beautiful gift)

'Made for each other'


Personally, I feel the Snuzpod (or any co-sleeping crib) and breastfeeding go hand in hand.  As a reward for sticking at breastfeeding, through the night sweats and cracked nipples (disclaimer- short term side effects only), I treated myself to a Snuzpod.  I had finally cracked the art of lying down breastfeeding and the thought of not having to set foot out of the bed through those endless night feeds (also short term- don't worry) was too appealing to pass up.


'Fourth Trimester'

Newborns want to be close, if not attached to their Mummies at all times (or so it seems!), particularly for the first 3 months of life.  This is often described as 'the fourth trimester.'  This makes sense really.  Having spent the last 40 weeks/3 trimesters physically attached, depending solely on their Mother's body, to then abruptly arrive into this cold, loud world where they have to begin to learn fending for themselves- I can't blame them!  Both a survival instinct and a lifelong bonding exercise- clever really!  For me personally, I was reassured by this and embraced this primal instinct (most of the time) between me and my baby and looking back, I'm glad I did as every little stage passes so quickly and now this one feels so long ago.

'Easy Life'


My Husband is a firm believer in 'anything for an easy life' which has escalated in this sometimes overwhelming world of parenthood.  So Snuzpod for us, screamed practicality; enabling me to slide the baby across the bed to feed, minimising disturbing all 3 of our sleep and being able to stick the dummy back in before she even noticed she'd spat it out (#parenthoodgoals).  It's also useful in those early, paranoid days of lying watching her breathing (we all do it!) and counting her resps (ok- too far? Just the Midwife in me?).  So made our nights that little bit easier and less anxious.


'Baby Steps'


Now, after spending 8 months gazing into each others eyes as we fell asleep and holding hands in bed (yes- BOKE.  And poor Daddy, I know.  But sorry, not sorry- those days are short lived and now they're over), my baby girl seems to need me less and less during the night and so queue- The Cot Bed (why so far away?)

There was no chance a cot bed was fitting into our room- didn't think that one through!

My now increasingly independent little girl feeds less, sleeps longer and moves about, so naturally needs more space.  However, on my seventh run back to our Nursery to put the dummy back in since I've started writing this, I've never appreciated that Snuzpod more!  Although my first thought when I got back into my now lonely side of the bed? I miss her.

Hoping one day, they make a bigger one!
With love, until next time,

One tired and sentimental (beginner) Mama
X

My inspiration and model herself- Pippa McAuley

Comments

  1. Well done on your first blog, Pippa is so cute and I love seeing all the beautiful pictures you share. I can relate to everything and I wish I had a snuzpod when my daughter was a baby. Good luck with your blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! I've had blogging on my mind for months and finally plucked up the courage to post. Open to suggestions for future topics! xx

      Delete
  2. Fantastic first blog, we have a snuzpod too and I was watching my 3 month old sleeping in it this morning thinking we're probably half way through now and already getting sad for when he grows out of it and I can't fall asleep with him every night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lylani! I am actually still using mine at 9 months, depends on how much of a mover they are in their sleep I guess! Enjoy the cuddles! Xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts